Things about the Arizona Coyotes and the NHL that crossed my mind this past week –
Some of my thoughts, some info, and notes from the past week about our Arizona Coyotes and the National Hockey League.
1. The Arizona Coyotes played four games last week going 0-3-1 and now have an overall record of 35-39-8. The Yotes continued their poor play on the road and this will need to be much better next season.
2. There are rumours that with two years left on his contract, Don Maloney will be relieved of his duties as Coyotes GM Monday. Who saw this coming?
Confirmed by multiple sources at 8 am Arizona time.
Unless there was a major shift in direction or ownership and management are on completely different pages, I don’t understand this move. Don Maloney and his staff have positioned this team nicely with prospects that have started impacting this team with much more on the way. GMDM might have missed on the Mike Ribiero signing and he may have overpaid goaltender Mike Smith but he has done more, with less, than most GMs in the NHL. I hope this ownership isn’t sticking their noses where they don’t belong.
3. Should the Rocket Richard Trophy be awarded in there is not a 50-goal scorer in the NHL this season or any other? Before you answer, keep in mind that 50 goals were always the benchmark for the top scorers. I know the times have changed but ….
MOOT POINT … Ovie notches a hat-trick on Saturday night to reach the 50 goal plateau again. He has been the most consistent scorer of his generation.
4. Not that anybody asked but my vote for Calder Memorial Trophy (Rookie of the Year) is Connor McDavid.
5. Lottery standings update: The lottery will be held on Apr. 30
6. How come all year long they are called “the gallery” but during the Masters Golf Tournament they are “the patrons? La ti da … BITE ME!
7. Arizona Coyotes special teams update:
PP: 20th at 17.7%
PK: 28th at 77.3
8. Countdown to the 2016 World Cup: 160 days (Sept. 17-Oct. 1 in Toronto) Final rosters to be posted on June 1.
9. It’s happening again; the eastern media are pumping Kris Letang’s tires for the Norris Trophy. HEY GUYS … try staying up a little later and watch some real defencemen that play in the west like Doughty, Keith, OEL, Josi, Weber, Byfuglien, Suter. Should I continue? Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Klingberg, Barrie, Giordano.
10. The NCAA “Frozen Four” is a joke. They have two semi-final games and then the final. If you blink you’ll probably miss it. At least, play a round-robin like they do at the Memorial Cup and make it worth their while for crying out loud. Even the ESPN announcers and the ESPN panel were mocking the best-of-one, saying they should, at least, play a best-of-three.
11. I think maybe Barroway and LeBlanc should be out selling their empty suites and leave the hockey operations to the qualified people they hired. As you might have guessed, I’m not happy with the Don Maloney news. (see #2)
If you would be interested in doing an Arizona Coyotes podcast,ou would be interested in doing an Arizona Coyotes podcast, please contact me.
Arizona Hockey Talk is looking for Arizona Coyotes, ASU Sun Devils, and local minor hockey writers. If you or somebody you know is interested, please contact us.
LET’S GO YOTES
If you have any thoughts on any of these questions please let me know.
Use the “Comment Section” below.