Things about the Arizona Coyotes and the NHL that crossed my mind this past week –
Some of my thoughts, some info, and notes from the past week about our Arizona Coyotes and the National Hockey League.
1. The Arizona Coyotes played three games last week going 1-2-0 and now have an overall record of 35-36-7.
2. Mike Smith has been excellent since his return from the IR and I hope this is the Schmitty (as Tipp calls him) we see all of next season.
3. Congrats to Max Domi on being the Arizona Coyotes nominee for the Masterson Trophy.
4. The Coyotes 3-0 win over the Capitals on Saturday night might be one of their most complete games of the season BUT I think their 1-0 win over the Islanders on December 19th might be MY favourite of the year.
5. Lottery standings update: The lottery will be held on Apr. 30
6. Would you trade OEL for the first overall pick in this summer’s NHL Entry Draft?
7. Arizona Coyotes special teams update:
PP: 18th at 18.6%
PK: 26th at 77.9
8. Countdown to the 2016 World Cup: 167 days (Sept. 17-Oct. 1 in Toronto) Final rosters to be posted on June 1.
9. Attendance update:
Calgary Flames – 14,347
Washington Capitals – 17,125
A nice way to end the season with two good crowds at the Gila River Arena. I think the Coyotes have given the fans in the valley something to be excited about. I hope that this will translate into more season ticket holders and bigger crowds next season. This team deserves your support.
10. To no one’s surprise, Oliver Ekman-Larsson was named the Coyotes MVP this season during the team awards preceding Saturday night’s game. Other award winners were; Shane Doan (3-star award), Jordan Martinook (hardest working as voted by the fans), and Michael Stone (man of the year).
11. Good luck to my fellow Winnipeger, Michael Stone, with his rehab after successful ACL/MCL surgery. He was having his best season before his unfortunate injury and I look forward to seeing him back on the Yotes blueline next season.
12. Congrats to Max Domi on cracking the 50 point mark in his rookie season.
13. Looking back at this past season, I think it would be fair to say that the two 5-game eastern road trips where they went 0-10 cost them a shot at the playoffs. Although nobody was expecting a playoff berth this season, it could have been a different story if they went 5-5.
14. Can Shane Doan score 3 goals in the Yotes final 4 games and hit the 30-goal plateau again? This would be quite an accomplishment when you consider the captain is 39-years-old AND he has missed 10 games this season due to injury. We’re pulling for you Doaner.
15. If you would be interested in doing an Arizona Coyotes podcast, please contact me.
Arizona Hockey Talk is looking for Arizona Coyotes, ASU Sun Devils, and local minor hockey writers. If you or somebody you know is interested, please contact us.
LET’S GO YOTES
If you have any thoughts on any of these questions please let me know.
Use the “Comment Section” below.