Things about the Arizona Coyotes and the NHL that crossed my mind this past week –
Some of my thoughts, some info, and notes from the past week about our Arizona Coyotes and the National Hockey League.
1. The Arizona Coyotes played three games last week going 1-2-0 and now have an overall record of 25-24-6.
2. According to Sports Club Stats: After a tough week the Coyotes odds of making the playoffs sit at 13.0 % down from 19.9% last Sunday.
3. Congrats to Shane Doan once again on breaking a couple more of Dale Hawerchuk’s franchise records. Doaner broke the record for PP goals and total points in the Yotes 4-1 win over Calgary. BTW, he had 2 goals and 1 assist.
4. It looks like the Coyotes have gone back to a traditional power-play alignment and have mercifully put an end to the Mikkel Boedker experiment on the point. It was an epic fail and really limited Boedker’s talents IMO.
5. Mike Smith should be returning from the IR soon and the Yotes are going to need Schmitty to be his best if they want to make a playoff run.
6. I wonder if Don Maloney is going to be a buyer or a seller at the trade deadline? I guess the next 6-7 games before the deadline will determine that and especially the monster 5-game road trip through the east.
7. We still see the good and bad with Connor Murphy but he is slowly developing into a solid NHL defenceman. It takes time and he’s not there yet but he is slowly trending the right way.
8. Will pending UFA Mikkel Boedker be traded if he isn’t re-signed before the NHL trade deadline on Feb. 29th?
9. Attendance update:
Vancouver Canucks – 12,255
Calgary Flames – 13,643
Better. The weekday attendance still isn’t great but it is a big improvement over the last couple of seasons.
10. I still miss Radim Vrbata.
11. I like the acquisition of Kevin Connaughton but for me, the jury is still out on Jarred Tinordi.
12. For an explanation of No-Trade Clauses and No-Movement Clauses as well as the NHL players that have them you can get that info here >>> NTC and NMC
13. Arizona Coyotes special teams update:
PP: 15th at 18.8% up from 19th at 18.0% last week.
PK: 27th at 77.9% up from 29th at 76.8% last week.
14. Countdown to the 2016 NHL Trade Deadline: 15 days (Feb. 29)
15. Countdown to the 2016 World Cup: 216 days (Sept. 17-Oct. 1 in Toronto). How many Coyotes do you think will be in this tournament? Hanzal? OEL? Domi? Duclair? Boedker?
16. I promised myself I wouldn’t talk about Max Domi and Anthony Duclair today because these kids are so special I could go on and on. The future looks bright Yotes fans!
Arizona Hockey Talk is looking for Arizona Coyotes, ASU Sun Devils, and local minor hockey writers. If you or somebody you know is interested, please contact us.
LET’S GO YOTES
If you have any thoughts on any of these questions please let me know.
Use the “Comment Section” below.