Things about the Arizona Coyotes and the NHL that crossed my mind this past week –
Some of my thoughts, some info, and notes from the past week about our Arizona Coyotes and the National Hockey League.
1. The Arizona Coyotes played four games last week going 0-4-0 and now have an overall record of 27-29-6.
2. According to Sports Club Stats: After a real tough week the Coyotes odds of making the playoffs sit at 2.5% down from 12.5 % last week. THUD!
3. The Arizona Coyotes started the ball rolling on trade deadline day with the first trade of the day acquiring forward Sergei Plotnikov from the Pittsburgh Penguins in exchange for forward Matthias Plachta and a conditional seventh-round draft choice in the 2017 Entry Draft. Plotnikov will be in the Coyotes lineup tonight versus his old team in Pittsburgh.
4. Forward Jiri Sekac was claimed on waivers by the Yotes on Saturday and he will probably play tonight in Pittsburgh. The 23-year-old winger from the Czech Republic started the season with the Anaheim Ducks and was traded to the Chicago Blackhawks on Jan. 21 for Ryan Garbutt.
5. Another disastrous 5-game road trip for the Coyotes but this one has probably sealed their fate in not becoming a playoff team. Although they weren’t awful they needed to grind out some points and after the first four games of this trip, they have ZERO.
6. On Mar. 10, 1980 the New York Islanders acquired Butch Goring from the Los Angeles Kings and this was probably one of the best trade deadline day acquisitions of all-time. He was a huge part of that NYI dynasty.
7. I wonder if Don Maloney and the Coyotes are interested in Jonathon Drouin?
8. Silver lining time: The Yotes had a terrible road trip through the east in early December where they lost all five games and were outscored 24-10 but on this road trip they were in every game and much more competitive.
The Coyotes are only eight points behind the Colorado Avalanche but have two games in hand. It’s not over yet!
UPDATE: 11:30 am AZ time
9. Mikkel Boedker has been traded to the Colorado Avalanche. The Yotes acquired forwards Alex Tanguay and Conner Bleackley and defenceman Kyle Wood from the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for forward Mikkel Boedker. Bleackley and Wood were the Av’s first two picks in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
10. After the draft lottery, would you trade OEL in a deal to get the first overall pick and draft Auston Matthews?
11. IMO, Jarrett Bousquet, Mikkel Boedker’s agent, priced his client right out of Arizona. (see #9)
12. Arizona Coyotes special teams update:
PP: 15th at 18.5% down from 12th at 19.4% last week.
PK: 25th at 77.8% up from 28th at 77.8% last week.
13. Countdown to the 2016 NHL Trade Deadline: TODAY at 1 pm Arizona time. (Feb. 29)
14. Countdown to the 2016 World Cup: 202 days (Sept. 17-Oct. 1 in Toronto) Preliminary rosters (16 players) will be posted this Wednesday.
15. I expect OEL, Max Domi, and possibly Anthony Duclair to be named as participants in this fall’s World Cup of Hockey. Remember, these are just preliminary rosters and they can be added to and subtracted from up until a couple of weeks before the tournament.
Arizona Hockey Talk is looking for Arizona Coyotes, ASU Sun Devils, and local minor hockey writers. If you or somebody you know is interested, please contact us.
LET’S GO YOTES
If you have any thoughts on any of these questions please let me know.
Use the “Comment Section” below.