Things about the Arizona Coyotes and the NHL that crossed my mind this past week –
Some of my thoughts, some info, and notes from the past week about our Arizona Coyotes and the National Hockey League.
1. The Arizona Coyotes played three games last week going 0-2-1 and now have an overall record of 24-22-6 and for the first time in quite awhile are on the outside looking in as far as the playoffs are concerned.
2. According to Sports Club Stats: After a tough week the Coyotes odds of making the playoffs sit at 19.9%.
3. Tuesday night versus L.A. Dave Tippett coached in 1000th NHL game. That’s quite an impressive milestone. Congrats Tipp.
4. Breaking news: There was a Mikkel Boedker sighting on Thursday night at Gila River Arena.
5. It looks like Louis Domingue has hit the wall. This is not good news with Mike Smith, at least, a month away from returning to the lineup.
6. After giving up a short-handed goal versus Chicago, you could see Dave Tippett yell at Newell Brown to get those guys off the ice and Mikkel Boedker was playing forward on the Coyotes next powerplay. They have given up way too many shorthanded goals this season and I hope that removing Boedker from the point on the PP is permanent, not that all the SHG were his fault.
7. Shane Doan is approaching a couple more of Dale Hawerchuk’s franchise records (powerplay goals and total points) and should break them within the next couple of games.
9. Attendance update:
Los Angeles Kings – 12,261
Chicago Blackhawks – 17,125
Better, but it would be nice to see more Coyotes jerseys in the lower bowl. Chicago must have felt like it was a home game for them.
10. Boedker finally scores a goal (first since Dec. 27) and it was on the powerplay BUT only after being removed from the point and put back at forward. I’ve only been harping on that for four months now.
11. It’s the most interesting time of the hockey season as the Feb. 29th NHL Trade Deadline approaches. Who’s going to fire the opening salvo and get the ball rolling?
12. For an explanation of No-Trade Clauses and No-Movement Clauses as well as the NHL players that have them you can get that info here >>> NTC and NMC
13. Arizona Coyotes special teams update:
PP: 19th at 18.0% … last week it was 17th at 17.8%.
PK: 29th at 76.8% … last week it was 28th at 76.6%.
14. Countdown to the 2016 NHL Trade Deadline: 22 days (Feb. 29)
15. Countdown to the 2016 World Cup: 223 days (Sept. 17-Oct. 1 in Toronto). How many Coyotes do you think will be in this tournament? Hanzal? OEL? Domi? Duclair? Boedker?
Arizona Hockey Talk is looking for Arizona Coyotes, ASU Sun Devils, and local minor hockey writers. If you or somebody you know is interested, please contact us.
LET’S GO YOTES
If you have any thoughts on any of these questions please let me know.
Use the “Comment Section” below.