Things about the Arizona Coyotes and the NHL that crossed my mind this past week –
Some of my thoughts, some info, and notes from the past week about our Arizona Coyotes and the National Hockey League.
1. The Arizona Coyotes played three games last week going 1-2-0 and now have an overall record of 28-31-6.
2. I wonder if it’s too late for the Yotes to tank (lose with a purpose) and get back into the Auston Matthews sweepstakes.
3. The Yotes visit old friend Mikkel Boedker tonight in Colorado.
4. It looks like Alex Tanguay has found a nice fit on a line with fellow Quebecer’s Antoine Vermette and Anthony Duclair. The line combined for 9 points in a 5-1 win versus the Florida Panthers on Saturday night with Tanguay notching 2 goals and a helper.
5. Giving Max Domi an instigator penalty that ultimately lead to his one-game suspension was a gutless call by the official and the NHL. I’m tired of guys running OEL and other players without fear of retribution but I guess GARY and his band of buffoons prefer protecting the run and hide rats in our game. Well done once again GARY!
6. It sure has been pretty quiet on the Mike Smith front hasn’t it? I’m guessing there’s no urgency to rush him back now.
7. Just a reminder that tonight’s game versus the Colorado Avalanche will be at 7 pm on the NBC Sports Network.
8. Is there a harder working Coyote than Jordan Martinook? Maybe Kyle Chipchura?
9. Max Domi may be a skilled player but there is an awful lot of his father, Tie Domi in him as we witnessed on Thursday night against Anaheim. Max takes crap from nobody and is there for his teammates.
10. I would like to see the Yotes play other teams skilled players a little tougher much like how we see opposition teams target OEL, Max Domi, Anthony Duclair etc.
11. Even the most die-hard Coyotes fans must now realize there is very little chance for the playoffs and that these are the standings everyone should be watching.
12. Arizona Coyotes special teams update:
PP: 16th at 18.4% down from 15th at 18.5% from last week.
PK: 25th at 77.7% same as last week.
13. I’ve been watching hockey for over 50 years and in my opinion the officiating is at an all-time low.
14. Countdown to the 2016 World Cup: 195 days (Sept. 17-Oct. 1 in Toronto) Preliminary rosters were posted this past Wednesday with the final rosters to be posted on June 1.
15. As expected OEL was named to Team Sweden’s roster and Martin Hanzal was named to the Czech Republic’s roster for the 2016 World Cup. I would think that Max Domi would still be on the radar for the U24 North American roster.
Arizona Hockey Talk is looking for Arizona Coyotes, ASU Sun Devils, and local minor hockey writers. If you or somebody you know is interested, please contact us.
LET’S GO YOTES
If you have any thoughts on any of these questions please let me know.
Use the “Comment Section” below.